Please encourage your child to practise their reading each day. Little and often is the best way to keep those reading skills developing which are crucial for the rest of their learning. The children in Rabbits class last week took home a bundle of books to use at home. In our reading we are using our sound knowledge to work out new words, read tricky words by sight, use the pictures to help us and reread what we have read to check it makes sense. Some of us are starting to predict what is going to happen next and use expression when reading.
Oxford Owl has a fantastic ebook library with a wide range of free ebooks to read. Try different times of day to access this website as like many others is popular at the moment with children during the school day hours.
Ideas to keep reading fun:
1. Change where in the house you read.
2. Make a den or cosy area to read in(washing racks and sheets are great for this).
3. Look for websites offering free ebooks to download.
4. Have a family book that everyone can take a turn at reading.
5. Encourage children to reread familiar and favourite books again and again.
6. Make a personalised bookmark to use when reading.
7. Enjoy bedtime stories.
8. Read whenever you get the chance (little and often).